Why 'My Mink Betty'?

Why 'My Mink Betty'?
I'm not your common, everyday twenty-something year old and when I graduated from High School I got an equally uncommon gift. My parents found for me a beautiful 1940's mink stole at a garage sale. It had belonged to the woman's Great Aunt Betty who had married late in life to a man with money and had only allowed him to buy her this one luxury. The unusually styled stole has the name, Betty L. Jones, embroidered in the satin lining so that's what I call her. They never had children of their own and the mink was passed to Aunt Betty's niece and on to her daughter. Until it got to me, no one since Aunt Betty had worn it. Now Betty the mink and I go to the theater together on special occasions and I hope that someday I can take her to the Symphony or the Ballet. Although Betty hadn't been worn or loved for many years she was waiting for someone to love her again as are most other things I look for when thrifting.

Monday, July 19, 2010

How I Came to Love Vintage

Even as a child I always liked things that could be described as vintage. I grew up with household names like Pyrex and Samsonite, and the soundtrack to my life has always been Broadway and Golden Oldies. When I was a child my mother and sister would take me to antique malls to look around but we rarely bought anything. My mother collected green depression glassware and records and took me to musicals and showed me old films. I became enamored of Judy Garland and the glamour of old Hollywood before I was out of elementary school and I longed for ermine and pearls. Before I was old enough to enter high school I had already started collecting Original Broadway Soundtracks on Vinyl and received a long-awaited record player for my thirteenth birthday. As a gift to celebrate my graduation from high school I finally got the mink stole I had always wanted and, around that time, my mother and I started frequenting Goodwill and estate sales and made a few more finds like a vintage sweater clip and a beautiful two-sided hand mirror. Someone might argue that my mother raised me to like vintage things but I'd have to disagree. I didn't have to be raised to appreciate vintage, I'd always loved it. I was raised around it and wanted vintage things for myself but I wasn't stopped from having new things while growing up; I simply appreciated the older things in life. I have always liked personal items most of all when looking at vintage things, the sort of things that people handled and used on an everyday basis. They tell a story of the owner and what he or she liked or did with their lives as well as what was fashionable or luxurious in earlier times.

In all, I have always liked vintage things. They tend to be better quality, more stylish, and more fun and they just don't make things like that today.

I will soon be blogging here about vintage, thrift stores, broadway, floral design, and anything else that comes to mind but in the meantime, here are some photos of items I should be blogging about.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...