Why 'My Mink Betty'?

Why 'My Mink Betty'?
I'm not your common, everyday twenty-something year old and when I graduated from High School I got an equally uncommon gift. My parents found for me a beautiful 1940's mink stole at a garage sale. It had belonged to the woman's Great Aunt Betty who had married late in life to a man with money and had only allowed him to buy her this one luxury. The unusually styled stole has the name, Betty L. Jones, embroidered in the satin lining so that's what I call her. They never had children of their own and the mink was passed to Aunt Betty's niece and on to her daughter. Until it got to me, no one since Aunt Betty had worn it. Now Betty the mink and I go to the theater together on special occasions and I hope that someday I can take her to the Symphony or the Ballet. Although Betty hadn't been worn or loved for many years she was waiting for someone to love her again as are most other things I look for when thrifting.

Friday, February 27, 2015

The Estate Sale Doppelganger and Pyrex From Heaven

Several weeks ago my mother and I went to a few estate sales that were practically next door to our house, not expecting to necessarily come back with much, and we were pleasantly surprised. 

Here are some of the things we found.
 
The first sale really was nearly within spitting distance of our house and yielded the most things we just couldn't leave behind and the most things interesting enough to photograph.  This sale was run by family, and they were so happy to get the house cleared out, they priced everything really low.

We bought an assortment of small things from around the house.  A few zippers, a pair of pinking shears, assorted pins and a pair of collapsible embroidery scissors came from the sewing room, while some games, glue sticks and the silver bird plate were in the living room.  

Also in the living room was this beautiful Hi-Fi set-up. 


It was marked only $15 and looked practically brand new, even though it probably dates it to the late 60's or early 70's.  I didn't buy it, but I almost wished I needed another turntable just so I could have an excuse to own something so nice. 


Recently I explained to my boyfriend what macrame is and it has become a running joke that he LOOOVES macrame so when my mother and I saw this - a HUGE macrame hanging table set - we couldn't stop snickering and I needed to share.  That thing was gigantic! It went from the ceiling almost to the floor. 

 

Next was the kitchen.  When Mom in ahead of me, she couldn't believe her eyes.  There, on the shelf above her head, with the heavenly light shining on it and the choir of angels singing its' praises, sat a pristine 471 Pyrex Bake-Serve-Store in aqua Butterprint FOR 25 CENTS.  Of course we took it home, what do you think we are, fools?

 

A friend's little boy turned 2 recently and was given a toy kitchen so we picked up the tiny Tupperware cream pitcher and canape cutter for him but the citrus peelers are for us.  The tea tin has a flat back for a semi-circular shape.  I just love the butterflies and flowers.

On our way out of the sale, Mom noticed a pile of resin planters, and decided to call my father to come look at them. This is how the conversation went: 

Mom:  Hey! You know those planter boxes you're going to build to put along the side of the house? 
You know, where you keep your collection of crapola?
Dad:  I was going to build something?
Mom:  Yeah, remember last month, when I said... um, I mean YOU said you would? 
Dad:  Ummm sure, I'll get right on that. 
Mom:  Well, maybe you don't have to.  They have a ton of resin planters at the estate sale that you didn't want to go to and you can probably get them for pennies, but they have to ride home in your car because some of them still have dirt in them.  
Dad:  I'm kind of doing something.
Mom:  Did you get the part about if you buy them I'll stop asking when you're going to build those planters?
Dad:  I'll be right there.

 No sooner had we put our purchases in the car, than I saw my father walking up to the house.  Or so I thought.  Five-foot-nine, 160 lbs, hiking boots, blue jeans, brown T-shirt covered by an unbuttoned flannel shirt with the sleeves rolled up, ball cap, glasses, beard, about 60 years old... wrong face.  It was eerie, and he was heading for the gardening supplies.  Mom called Dad again and said, "You better get over here, your doppelganger just showed up and he's buying all your stuff!"

When Dad arrived, he and Mom went into the garage, and Dad zeroed in on a pile of metal plant stakes.  As he picked one up, Mr. Doppelganger said, "Those are mine, but there are more over there."  Mom and Dad burst out laughing and then had to explain, and everybody laughed at the whole situation. Then Dad bought a whole stack of planters.

At the next sale, Mom was thrilled to find an 8-cup Pyrex measuring cup/mixing bowl for $3.00.  It's huge, and SO useful.

This lovely Pyrex citrus pattern juice carafe was $1.00. I already own one of these. Mom bought this one for holding her Crystal Light in a much classier container than vintage Tupperware.  Because Crystal Light should be in crystal, right?  Well, crystal is too expensive, so glass has to be good enough.  

 
This was not found as a record bowl but as a RED record - A tribute to Artie Shaw to be exact.  I snapped it up and made the bowl for my boyfriend for Valentine's Day and he loves it. 


I think it's the prettiest record bowl I've ever seen.  It's too bad colored vinyl is so hard to come by. 


I really wanted to take this home with me, as alligators are just about my favorite animal, but I couldn't justify the $5.00.

The third sale was run by a woman who buys storage unit contents at auction and sells the crud she can't get much for very inexpensively.  We bought a whole bag of stuff for $4.00 - many small things, including a wool/angora sweater for unraveling, a bunch of jewelry bits that will probably show up in another post, some more toy kitchen stuff and the most interesting thing we found. . .


an Aladdin Pump-A-Drink.  It's hardly been used.  Mom remembers when these were all the rage in the 70's.  Everybody had to have one.


They came in a number of styles.  No need to pour the coffee; just push the button on the top.

So, with a trunk full of purchases, Mom and I headed for home.  Later, as I'm unloading my stuff from the car, I hear:

Mom:  Let's go to the store to look at paint for those planters.
Dad:  I'm going to paint something?

I'm linking up with the following parties:
Thrifter Share
Show and Share
Vintage Bliss Tuesdays
Roses of Inspiration 

13 comments:

  1. Awesome finds, indeed. Your Valentine's gift for your man turned out dreamily. So, what did he put in his bowl gift?

    Happy weekend and thrifting,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kelley. He keeps it on his dresser and puts his wallet and other things from his pockets in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finds, but the story about your Mom and Dad just crack me up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Butterprint pyrex for 25 cents? That is really a steal. I covet aqua/turquoise pyrex. Great great finds!
    Love your 'mink-betty' story. Thanks for stopping by at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading the stories about your finds! It's fun to see things I remember from the 60s and 70s!
    And your mom and dad are a hoot! I'm glad those planters are coming around!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had several of those things..Rack-o game...loved that game. Theyellow jar and of course, a macrame hanging table! Kind of odd to know I am now among the "back in the day" folks! visiting from Enchating Rose linky
    Cheri
    www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you make the macrame table yourself? If so, I'm impressed... and a little afraid, lol.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful color on that Pyrex and the macrame is very quirky!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow your post makes me miss garage saling! We had snow today so its thrift stores for now and the prices are just not as good. I can't believe that Pyrex!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!!! Those were great deals. I had never seen a record made in to a bowl before. That looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I am definitely living in the wrong area - I would never be able to find sweet treasures like this :) You definitely found some great items and the Pyrex was seriously only 0.25 cents?? Wow :)

    Thanks for sharing at Roses of Inspiration - hopefully we'll see you next week. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute story of how you got your planters, so fun to hunt for things isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pyrex for 25¢??? Oh myyyy such a good deal!!! and gorgeous too : ) so many treasures but I would have bought the alligator and planted blue lobelia all around it! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...