Why 'My Mink Betty'?

Why 'My Mink Betty'?
I'm not your common, everyday twenty-something year old and when I graduated from High School I got an equally uncommon gift. My parents found for me a beautiful 1940's mink stole at a garage sale. It had belonged to the woman's Great Aunt Betty who had married late in life to a man with money and had only allowed him to buy her this one luxury. The unusually styled stole has the name, Betty L. Jones, embroidered in the satin lining so that's what I call her. They never had children of their own and the mink was passed to Aunt Betty's niece and on to her daughter. Until it got to me, no one since Aunt Betty had worn it. Now Betty the mink and I go to the theater together on special occasions and I hope that someday I can take her to the Symphony or the Ballet. Although Betty hadn't been worn or loved for many years she was waiting for someone to love her again as are most other things I look for when thrifting.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Christmas Giveaway Book Scans

I have posted a picture of the books in my Christmas Book Giveaway. And here are some scans of some of the books. I will be adding more as I have time. If you missed the post about the Christmas Book Advent Calendar, you can find it here.

Click on the picture to enlarge.


The first book is a version of the classic poem, "A Visit From St. Nicholas."

Illustrator Cyndy Szekeres shows us Christmas Eve in the Mouse Family house.


Those thrifty mice sure are good at repurposing things, aren't they?.

And here's St Nick delivering the presents.
I didn't know mice liked to play the ukulele. Did you?

The next book, "The Crippled Lamb," was written by Max Lucado with help from his three daughters,

and beautifully illustrated by Liz Bonham.

It tells the story of Joshua, a lamb with a crippled leg,

who feels left out, because he can't run and play like the other lambs,
and his friendship with Abigail, the old cow,

who tells him, "God has a special place for those who feel left out."

And one night, Joshua finds his special place in a stable with the baby Jesus.

The third book is "Little Polar Bear Finds a Friend" by Hans de Beer.
While not a Christmas book, I think it fits well into the winter theme.

Here's the description from the back cover.

Lars and the other animals after they escape from their crates.

Lars and the walrus are hesitant to join Bea in eating honey.
Lars and Bea arrive home.

I found a cute pocket-sized edition of "Olive, the Other Reindeer,"

written by Vivian Walsh and wonderfully illustrated by J. Otto Seibold

Olive is a dog who hears a Christmas song on the radio and thinks she must be a reindeer.

So off she goes to the North Pole to join Santa.

Santa encounters several problems on his ride, but Olive uses her special doggy abilities to save Christmas Eve.

The next book is another of Alyssa Satin Capucilli's books about Biscuit, the little yellow puppy.
Illustrations are by Pat Schories.

I was not familiar with Biscuit before, but I've discovered that he's the star of quite a few "I Can Read" books.

In this story, his little girl is taking photographs;


photographs of Biscuit celebrating Christmas.

And as you can see from the back cover, you get to add your pictures to the photo album, too.

This next book was also new to me.

"Santa's Favorite Story" by Hisako Aoki, with marvelous watercolor illustrations by Ivan Gantschev.

Santa is in the woods, telling a story to all the animals.

A story about a faraway place a long time ago,
where shepherds watched over their flocks at night,

and a bright star suddenly appeared in the sky,

and led them to a baby lying in a manger.

If you would like a chance to have these books for your very own, all you have to do is leave a comment on my giveaway post. The winner will be announced on December 11th.


4 comments:

  1. I have never seen Olive the other Reindeer but it looks like a wonderful book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Olive the other Reindeer. I will have to go over to Linda's and let her know about this cute story. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. right now I am in awe of your scanner. Guess Santa and I will have to have a talk and update my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda - it's an adorable book.

    Sherrie - Thank you very much for being so helpful

    dogsmom - Thank you very much. I'm sure Santa can oblige ;]

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...