Why 'My Mink Betty'?

Why 'My Mink Betty'?
I'm not your common, everyday twenty-something year old and when I graduated from High School I got an equally uncommon gift. My parents found for me a beautiful 1940's mink stole at a garage sale. It had belonged to the woman's Great Aunt Betty who had married late in life to a man with money and had only allowed him to buy her this one luxury. The unusually styled stole has the name, Betty L. Jones, embroidered in the satin lining so that's what I call her. They never had children of their own and the mink was passed to Aunt Betty's niece and on to her daughter. Until it got to me, no one since Aunt Betty had worn it. Now Betty the mink and I go to the theater together on special occasions and I hope that someday I can take her to the Symphony or the Ballet. Although Betty hadn't been worn or loved for many years she was waiting for someone to love her again as are most other things I look for when thrifting.

Friday, October 1, 2010

Vintage Tupperware

My Mom keeps her sugar in a large round Tupperware canister. It was a present from her mother-in-law thirty-five years ago. It was old even then. They don't make them like that any more. But fortunately, people still sell them. And for a lot less than they used to.

Earlier this summer we went to an estate sale and found 4 large garbage bags full of mismatched plastic containers, some Tupperware, some not. They only wanted $1 per bag, so Mom decided to take a look. There was a lot of junk, but a few real gems. It took a lot of work to find all the matching pieces, but we managed to sort out one bag of usable containers. We paid $2 for the bag, since we HAD sorted through everything and chosen what we wanted.



Here's what we ended up with. There were 2 sets of brand new freezer containers (one made by Mobil). Those will be handy for tomato sauce. The rest was all Tupperware. It was filthy from being stored in the garage for years, but Mom soaked it in dish soap and bleach, scrubbed it and it all came clean. There are 4 canisters like our sugar one, ranging in size from 2 qt to 2 gal, an 8 qt servalier canister, 3 servalier bowls, a 2 qt pitcher, an ice cream keeper, and some miscellaneous lids and parts to make several containers we already had usable again.

And there is also the piece I most look forward to using - the Jel-n-Serve Jell-o mold. Now I can try one of those wonderful mid-50s salads containing Jell-o, mayonnaise, cucumbers, onions, hard boiled eggs, and sardines. Yum!

3 comments:

  1. I remember going to Tupperware parties with my mom when I was a kid. I always thought their containers were fantastic. $2.00 is pretty good for all those items.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the nice comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Betty! Thanks for commenting on my blog :) I just checked my oil cruet and luckily there is only the tiniest bit of green goop in there. Looking forward to reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Betty what great deals!!

    Thank you so much for awarding me the versitile blogger award. I finally got around to thanking you and doing a post. My plan is to be better about doing blog posts. I really feel honered that you picked me for the award.

    :) Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...