Why 'My Mink Betty'?

Why 'My Mink Betty'?
I'm not your common, everyday twenty-something year old and when I graduated from High School I got an equally uncommon gift. My parents found for me a beautiful 1940's mink stole at a garage sale. It had belonged to the woman's Great Aunt Betty who had married late in life to a man with money and had only allowed him to buy her this one luxury. The unusually styled stole has the name, Betty L. Jones, embroidered in the satin lining so that's what I call her. They never had children of their own and the mink was passed to Aunt Betty's niece and on to her daughter. Until it got to me, no one since Aunt Betty had worn it. Now Betty the mink and I go to the theater together on special occasions and I hope that someday I can take her to the Symphony or the Ballet. Although Betty hadn't been worn or loved for many years she was waiting for someone to love her again as are most other things I look for when thrifting.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

More Baby Planters

Do you remember our (mostly) baby planter collection?


Well, we found a few more.

This is a bunny.


She's wearing a flowered Easter hat and a pretty Easter bow and those are bunny ears flopping over the rim of her hat. So she must be an Easter Bunny. No matter what my friends and relatives might say, she's not a kitty or a hamster or a beaver. (Really, Dad, the Easter Beaver? Was growing up on the farm really that weird?)

I think she's the cutest bunny ever. She makes a great holder for my colored pencils. She had a few chips and flaws, but she was half off at the Goodwill and so cute I couldn't resist. She was made in Japan for the E. O. Brody Co. - I'm guessing in the late '50s or early '60s.
Look at this cute little baby.

Isn't she precious?


And she's riding a polka dot giraffe! Giraffes are my favorite animal and I never expected to find one in a baby planter.



Like the bunny, this planter has a few chips, but it's a GIRAFFE!!!!! The only marking is a stock number, so I don't know who made it or when, but it has a '70s feel to me.

This is the Napco bassinet that I mentioned in the earlier post, but which wasn't pictured. It's a pretty pink color and has a nice music box, but I wish they had tried to hide the screws.


The last find isn't a planter.

I doubt it's vintage, although it was made in Japan.

But it does have babies.

Lots of them.



Such a proud Mama Pig.

Those piglets kind of creep me out. They look like fish heads. But Mom loves it. She smiles every time she looks at it. We think it's a candy dish. The top of the carriage with the piglets lifts off. Or maybe it's supposed to be for cotton balls, etc. in a baby's room.

All of these came from Goodwill, for $2-$4 each.

I'm linking this post to
Thrifty Thursday at Bloggeritaville

1 comment:

  1. Awww the little bunny melts my heart a little bit! Love the giraffe too...very unique! Great finds!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...